STUDENT RESEARCH PROJECTS:
Students will be assigned a project that involves screening for either a particular C. elegans
mutant (THE MUTANT WILL BE UNC (UNCOORDINATED)). Though you will be given the same mutant in your group, the proposal paper and
write up will be individual. There will be no sharing of information for this project except
the type of mutation. Any deviation will be considered containing plagiarized material.
1. Learn and think about an experimental approach geneticist use to identify genes involved
with a specific biological process.
2. Read published scientific literature regarding genes regulating a biological process.
1. Read and discuss methodology used
2. Identify primary article pertaining to the mutation and its significance. Discuss and outline the methodology, results and significance of the study.
3. Learn to use the genetic model system databases wormbase.org.
4. Propose and conduct a forward genetic screen given available resources.
5. Write a research proposal to describe the preliminary results and use this as a stepping stone
to study this mutation and its significance to an area of your interest.
6. Develop scientific skills by formulating a research question, develop a hypothesis, propose
methodologies and develop a three-aim study on how this mutation once isolated can be
PROPOSAL AND PRELIMINARY RESULTS
In many teaching labs students conduct laboratory procedures with known outcomes. The
students document the process in a laboratory report. Such a report is important so students learn
about methodologies and how to document findings. Another type of scientific communication is
a Research Proposal. This type of written communication provides information such as
background information, hypothesis, research objectives, preliminary data, and rationale for
proposed experiments. Typically, this type of communication is used to propose scientific
research prior to obtaining support and or funding for research. In your case, it is a means to
sharpen your critically thinking skills regarding a research experiment prior to completion of the
Your Research Proposal is a complete description of the intended forward genetic
Even though this is an individual student assignment you should discuss the
ideas and content of the research proposal with your laboratory instructor and teammates.
Through the full proposal, you must communicate how the proposed study will make a
contribution to the understanding of the genetics of a biological process. The full research
proposal must contain the following:
Please also refer to the provided grading rubric.
1. Title page (Front page, includes title, name, date, lab course number and TA name)
2. Abstract that includes the research question, your hypothesis and any preliminary results that
are gained from your specific aims.
3. Brief Introduction. Background and statement of the problem (this in the light of a literature
4. State your research question(s) and hypothesis that answers the research question(s)
5. Research Objectives/Specific aim(s)—Three aims, followed by a method (step#7, 8) for each
aim, the actual/expected results (step#9, 10) for each aim and the significance of each aim
and its correlation to past scientific research data.
6. Experimental Approach (Methodolog
7. Resources required for the study, including budget if app8. Expected Results and preliminary results (here you can cyour forward genetic sc9. Data Interpretation – if applicable statistical planning must be fully addressed,
provide evidence that statistics are not required.
10. Timetable for completion of the project
12. Appendix- can add figures here. Do not use figures to substitute for appropriately written text
Format: ~6-8 pages long, 1.5 line space, 1-inch margins, 12 font Arial or Helvetica
Plagiarism Free Papers
All our papers are original and written from scratch. We will email you a plagiarism report alongside your completed paper once done.
All papers are submitted ahead of time. We do this to allow you time to point out any area you would need revision on, and help you for free.
A title page preceeds all your paper content. Here, you put all your personal information and this we give out for free.
Without a reference/bibliography page, any academic paper is incomplete and doesnt qualify for grading. We also offer this for free.
Originality & Security
At Homeworkpaper.net, we take confidentiality seriously and all your personal information is stored safely and do not share it with third parties for any reasons whatsoever. Our work is original and we send plagiarism reports alongside every paper.
24/7 Customer Support
Our agents are online 24/7. Feel free to contact us through email or talk to our live agents.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
We work around the clock to see best customer experience.
Our prices are pocket friendly and you can do partial payments. When that is not enough, we have a free enquiry service.
Admission help & Client-Writer Contact
When you need to elaborate something further to your writer, we provide that button.
We take deadlines seriously and our papers are submitted ahead of time. We are happy to assist you in case of any adjustments needed.
Your feedback, good or bad is of great concern to us and we take it very seriously. We are, therefore, constantly adjusting our policies to ensure best customer/writer experience.