Select non-fiction books (NOT novels) on the time period covered by this course. Choose books which interest you and notify Dr. Lee of your selection. Keep in mind that these are BOOK REVIEWS-not book reports. Reviews stress analysis and criticism. Reports heavily summarize a book. Criticize. Don’t summarize. A good review includes several elements which are woven together in smoothly-flowing paragraphs to form a double-spaced typed paper of about 4-5 pages. There is NO “works cited” page or bibliography for a book review. Your book review should include the following parts:
• On top of page one, type the book’s citation. For example,
Jones, Maxwell P. My Life In The Counterculture. San Francisco: Free Press,
Inc.,1995. (NOTE: line two of the citation is indented five spaces).
• Clearly state the book’s thesis or main idea. You may use a quotation to illustrate the thesis. When quoting, smoothly introduce the quote (less than three lines of quoted material), cite the page NUMBER, and follow with your analysis.
• Is the thesis proved to your satisfaction? Be specific.
• Select one of the book’s strengths and analyze it.
• Select one of the book’s weaknesses and criticize it.
• Give an example of the author’s writing style. Quote a sample of how he/she uses language to present his/her information and analyze the example. For instance, “The creek flowed red with the blood of America’s youth.” (69) Notice that ONLY PAGE NUMBERS are necessary.
• Examine the author’s sources. Is the bibliography impressive, fair, balanced? Are there footnotes/endnotes?
• Conduct research on the author’s background and qualifications. Dr. Lee will make suggestions for this research.
• Search for TWO other reviews of your book. Quote from them and assess whether or not they agree with your analysis. When quoting from other reviews, cite them like this: “This book vanishes into a haze of 1960s nostalgia” (American Historical Review, May 1995, 301).
• Would you recommend this book to your classmates? Why? Why not?
• Conclude with your name.
As you will notice, there is NO “works cited” page. This book review is a critique of non-fiction historical literature; it is NOT a research paper. Sprinkle quotations throughout your review and follow with analysis. Begin your review with the book’s citation and end with your name. Everything else can be re-arranged. Since you are the reviewer, be creative and original. You are the critic and have complete freedom to analyze the book in your own style. Read and re-read these instructions. They will be discussed in class. If you need book suggestions or assistance, contact Dr. Lee.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.