Directions: Answer up to 10 of the following 13 discussion questions based on Pietra Rivoli’s The Travels of a TShirt in the Global Economy: An Economist Examines the Markets, Power, and Politics of World Trade. They are worth up to 5 points each.
Your answers should be ~200 words each. Please be as detailed as possible. Proper in-text citations, in APA format, with a reference list are required. Remember, anytime you cite data, include a direct quote, or summarize in your own words an in-text citation is required.
Format: Typed. Times New Roman, 12 point font, 1 inch margins.
· Explain the impact of genetically modified cotton on production. What corporation has been a leader in this technological advance? What has been the response from Lubbock cotton growers?
· What has been the primary mission of the Plains Cotton Cooperative Association (PCCA)? What has contributed to the success of the PCCA?
· “According to at least some observers, the definitive source of U.S. cotton farmers’ comparative advantage is their ability to get help from friends in high places.” Explain and support this statement.
· In May 2008, Congress overrode President Bush’s veto of the 2008 Farm Bill, a piece of legislation that would have resulted in considerable reductions in many of the subsidies paid to wealthy, large‐ commodity farmers. Explain subsides and their importance in this market.
· Explain what information “Figure 5.2: U.S. Apparel Prices v. Import Share” reveals.
· What steps have been taken over the centuries to keep workers, usually women and minorities, from moving from toiling in the fields to low‐skill factory work? What impact does this have on labor (which we know is a factor endowment)?
· What transformation has occurred in the former textile centers of Manchester, England; Charlotte, North Carolina; the state of Alabama; and Osaka, Japan? How has Hong Kong’s apparel industry changed?
· What does the author mean by the phrase “the long race to the bottom?”
· Explain the rules for cotton T‐shirts associated with “preferential treatment status” in free‐trade agreements.
· What is the author’s answer to the following: “How did the United States—as the self‐anointed free trade champion of the universe—end up with such a dauntingly complex and downright silly mass of barriers to the import of T‐shirts?”
· What have been some of the unintended consequences of protecting manufacturing jobs in U.S./Western textile and apparel industries?
· What evidence does the author cite to support Joseph Schumpeter’s theory of creative destruction?
· How did quota allocations help a nation like the Philippines? Since 2004, why have nations that once supported such quota allocations begun to have second thoughts
· How did the 2005 surge in imports of Chinese apparel reflect “politically motivated tactics” rather than “market forces,” according to the author?
· What happens to America’s castoff T‐shirts and how is their plight the first example of a fully functioning free market at work in the story of a T‐shirt’s life from the cotton fields to the Salvation Army bin?
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.